Come and Improve Your Surfing Alongside Like Minded Women
The Surf Box is hosting Raglan's first ever All Womens Surf Improvement Course for Beginners this Summer.
November 14th -15th - Full
November 28th -29th 2020 - Full
December 12-13th 2020 Full.
January 9th -10th 2021 Full.
Currently All Courses Are Booked Out.
This course is designed to give relatively new surfers, or surfers that have been stuck at the beginner stage for a while, the skills, knowledge and confidence to take their surfing to the next level.
In this course we will be covering....
- The multiple different Pop Up techniques, and help you find the best one that works for your body (note, the classic "pop" isn't for everyone, but other techniques are equally as effective)
- How to identify a "good" wave with potential and work on wave selection skills.
- How to manage your board in different conditions, and techniques to get "out the back."
- How to read a surf forecast and choose conditions that will be suitable for you.
- What to look for in a board and set of fins, and how to make sure your are choosing equipment that will progress, not hinder your surfing.
During this course we will also...
- Have a session filmed and analysed, so you can see your specific areas to improve in (as well as non filmed sessions in the water.)
- Run through a surf specific stretch and strength class to release some muscle tension built up from the surfs, as well as to demonstrate exercises that you can do at home to build up your strength after the course is over.
A Typical Day
We'll meet as a group, get to know each other a little, and then without further a do, get straight out into the first surf where we will be analysing the spot before we head out.
930 - 1130 Surf
(Meet and Greet, Spot analysis, surf together as a group, and work on techniques to get out the back.)
1130 - 1230 Lunch Break
12 30 - 2 Theory
(Redefining the Pop Up, wave selection, equipment analysis)
2- 4 Surf Again
930 - 1130 - Filmed Surf
1130 - 1230 Lunch Break
12 30 - 2 Video analysis session
2 - 3 Surf Specific Movement Class
3 pm Onwards - Optional final surf
The Course Details
The price of the course is $299 and covers all of the tuition over the 2 day period. Please note, this is more a course over a camp therefor food and accomodation is up to the participant.
A non refundable deposit of 50 % is required to secure your position on the course, with the full payment being made 3 weeks prior to the start date.
In the unlikely event of unsafe conditions (eg. big cyclone) the course will be either postponed, or you will be fully refunded.
If you have your own board and wetsuit please bring it, however if you do not have equipment, we can arrange that for you.
If you would like to join on please fill out the form below, we will then get back to you with payment details and anything else you may need to know.
For Any Last Questions
I've never ever surfed before, is this for me?
We would suggest before this course at least having surfed once or twice so that we can move onto a little more advanced content with the whole group. If you would like a lesson before hand there are many amazing surf schools around (probably at your local surf beach) or you can take a private lesson with me any time before the course.
What if it is big, scary conditions?
That's surfing isn't it? The nature of surfing is exactly that. You never know what you will get, so we will make the most of the conditions presented to us as there are always things to practice and work on, even in less than ideal conditions. If the weather is unsafe and not appropriate (eg. cyclone) the course will be postponed.
What if I don't know anyone?
Thats fine! We're all learning in this together. Most of the participants will probably be coming alone, so no worries there.
Who is the coach?
I've never been to Raglan, do you have any accomodation recommendations?
Sure do, you can't really go wrong in Raglan. My top recommendations are Solscape, Raglan Backpackers, The campground, or any nice looking air bnb.